Thursday, April 30, 2015

Adopting Rock



The Little Guy’s big day was finally here.  We had dotted all the I’s and crossed the T’s so that hopefully everything would go smoothly for our official court date.  As always with something this big, you are still nervous about what you might have forgotten or what could go wrong.
March 6, 2015 it was looking to be one of the last days for Old man winter.  We got dressed up for our big day in court.  Jame and Hope we’re very excited and loved just getting dressed up in church clothes.  Grandma Rosie and Grandpa Jim came over to head to the courthouse with us.  Unlike when we adopted Hope we had to head to a different courthouse to adopt Rock.  The reason was because someone decided that’s where they were to be done.
Even though we were told by our lawyer not to get there early I just couldn’t help myself.  Going to a new courthouse and only street parking was sending my nerves overboard.  Naturally we arrived early to the court and found close parking.  We entered the court house and there was no real waiting area and security would not let us up to the courtroom until they heard from the Judge.  As we crowded into the little vestibule area Joanne from Catholic Charities had noticed I was looking at my phone and told me that it was not allowed in the courtroom.   I told her that I assumed it would be like when we adopted Hope that I would surrender my cameras and they would bring them to me when the Judge said it was okay.  Joanne asked the bailiff’s if it was okay and they said no they would rather
I take the cameras back to the car.  Out into the cold I ran to the car when I returned Jame had told me he was hungry and since we were all excited and didn’t eat breakfast, I believed him.  He pointed out a vending machine in the corner.  Almost as soon as I bought him some cookies the Bailiff told me that he would not be able to eat the cookies in the courtroom.  I told him that he would finish it before we headed up to the courtroom,  he responded by telling me that the Judge was back and that we could head up right then.   Mom, Hope and Grandma Rosie were still in the washroom so we had to wait anyway by the time they came back the Bailiff told me that I could bring my cameras in the courtroom, so back into the cold I ran again.
When we finally made it into the courtroom there were three families adopting that day.  The court reporter told us we would be second on the docket.  The first family had a lot of people with them and they thought it would be good to get them done first.  We waited for a bit and Jame was very curious about whom everyone was and where the Judge would sit.  The court reporter came by again and asked that everyone except the first family to kindly step out of the courtroom and that they would call us in when they were ready for our case. 
We waited in the hallway and some of the people from the first case started to come out.  Mom started to congratulate them and they thanked her and told us it wasn’t done yet.  A bit strange but we did not think much of it, that was until they came out followed by our lawyer who informed us that the Judge as it only be us two and the baby in the courtroom.  I knelt down to tell Jame to listen and behave while we were in the courtroom.  That did not go well with him he wanted to in the worse way come in with us, Hope seeing her big brother was upset soon followed and now we had two upset. 
Joanne went in to tell the Judge what was going on and ask again if they could come in with us.  Whatever silly reason the Judge had he denied the request.  We did our best to calm and reassure them that it was okay and headed into the courtroom.
In the courtroom at first everything seemed a bit cold and tense.  We tried earlier to feed Rock earlier so he would be calm during the case but he is on his own schedule.  I began to feed Rock when they asked us to stand and raise our right hand, I did my best to balance the bottle and raising my hand but eventually had to give up and hold the bottle for him. 
I was a bit nervous how the Judge would react but he actually cracked a bit of a smile.  When we got into the case I looked over and Mom’s eyes quickly filled with tears and she even laughed saying she didn’t think she was going to cry again.  Our lawyer Tara proved once again to be flawless and Joanne gave testimony on how they supported the adoption.  Before too long the gavel came down and Rock James Steele was officially ours.
The Judge said we could go and get the others in our party and take pictures inside the courtroom.  We went outside and got them and walked back into the courtroom to take pictures. 

We found it strange that the Judge had left the bench and was standing in the corner like someone had given him a time out.  We thought it was a bit strange but we headed over to the corner to get our picture taken when the Judge asked what we were doing we told him we wanted a picture with him, he told us that he was just standing over there to get out of our way.  He headed over in front of the bench to take pictures but it was sure strange.
We had decided before we left that we would stop off at Texas Roadhouse to celebrate afterwards but it was closed.  So with a bit of quick thinking of where to go and celebrate such an occasion we headed over to Gino’s Steakhouse, a bit pricey but good.  What a better way to introduce Rock into our family than a nice steak dinner I’m sure he enjoyed his bottle as we ate steak.  I did sneak him some chocolate dessert.


Rock is now six months old and getting to be a really big boy.  He had a check up with the doctors from the hospital and they were amazed at how far he has come and how well he is doing. They saw the rough start he had coming into the world.  I’m constantly amazed at him in his exersaucer.  Jame would stand with his fists clenched tightly, Hope loved the jumper and Rock uses his arms and plays with all the toys they have on it.  Rock’s smile can melt your heart.

Jame has stepped up to his big brother role and no one can get Rock to smile like he does.  Hope put her foot down and said no no no when it came to having another sibling but she now reassures him when he cries by saying “It’s Otay Rock It’s Otay.”She absolutely adores both her brothers.  From the moment he was born he was in our hearts but now he is officially and legally part of our family. He is the perfect ending to our family and we love him dearly. God has once again blessed our family and we are very grateful!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment